Friday, February 23, 2007

Reverent Reunion

In the last 2 weeks we have attended two funerals. The first for a friend of Bob's family and the second for a friend/former coworker. It is odd that we tend to feel more comforted it the person is older, I think because if the person in young (as was the case of our friend/former coworker-Ken), you feel as though there was much more of a contribution that could have been made, more lives touched, more good times ahead.

The service for our friend Ken had 30% of the entire congregation of people represented by Farmers employees or former employees of Farmers. It was a reunion of sorts, it reminded me of the movie, "Four Weddings & A Funeral," where people were reunited only on such occasions. It was odd in the respect we were so delighted to see one another and on the other hand were so detached due to the situation. It felt as though an entire group of people were moving through a fog and our visit's were cursory, although, we collectively vowed to get together under difference circumstances sometime soon.

What I noticed and what was brought up in conversation(s):

1. I wonder who would attend my funeral?

2. Who would I be most surprised that attended and didn't attend?

3. I would hope that my service would include [Fill in the blank ]...

4. The music I would like is [Fill in the blank ]...

5. I hope at my funeral they wouldn't [Fill in the blank ]...

6. What I really would like is [Fill in the blank ]...

So, do you have a preference? Have you ever asked these questions of yourself? Do you even want a funeral or memorial service?

To sum it all up it was a reverent reunion, sad & happy all in one shot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I decided long ago that since I wasn't going to be at my funeral, there wasn't much point in orchestrating it or wondering what would happen.....cliched though it is, funerals are for the surviving friends and family and the dead don't care any more. I figure what I do or fail to do in life is what matters, and I hope I get it right....

Jill said...

I agree 100% with you!!! The only feeling I want evoked, whether is be a funeral or memorial service, is one of joyousness for positively touching people's lives and one where people can laugh at some of my silly antics. I strive to make each interaction with others one in which I reflect back the beauty of their own soul.

Anonymous said...

I owe you a letter--haven't forgotten--trying to wrestle with time and the Guys, who like to cruise the 'net....

XXXOOO