Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Comedy...


I had been shredding old paperwork preparing for our taxes when I came across a PBS special American Masters featuring Bob Newhart. I received the best gift...laughter! It was great seeing older clips, having former costars discuss the family like working conditions on set and hearing from his wife on what life was like behind the scenes.

It made me think...who makes me laugh? Why do some things hit our funny bones and some things fall flat? I recognized in myself that I like day to day humor, not potty humor where comedians go for the 'cheap' laugh. Ellen Degeneres is one of my favorites...clean relatable humor. Carol Burnett,Totie Fields,Gilda Radner,Steve Martin,Lily Tomlin,Mel Brooks, Jerry Seinfeld, Elaine Boosler, Tracey Uhlman,Wanda Sikes, to name a few, clean humor...even Hugh Grant's wit makes me laugh like nobodies business!!!

Then I have a few that I call my hit-n-misses, they can make me laugh here and there, Kathy Griffin, Chris Rock, Bill Maher, George Carlin, Joan Rivers & Lewis Black: (although anything that is mean spirited I shy away from). I used to love Robin Williams, but I feel like I have outgrown his frenetic zaniness.

I still love to watch old Saturday Night live skits covering the years from 1976-1989, some humor is timeless like, "I Love Lucy," other humor is good for a particular era...perhaps like Lenny Bruce.
SO, who makes you laugh and why??????

No comments: