Friday, September 01, 2006

Books, Magazines, & Other Media...

I recall reading an article about 12+ years ago, (when I was dating), that a prospective partner will size you up by the reading materials that you have on display in your bookshelf.

The article comically advised if your shelves are filled with self-help books such as: "MEN ARE FROM MARS, WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS", "THE RULES: Time-tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right," & "SMART WOMEN, FOOLISH CHOICES" ... your date with Mr. Wonderful will most likely me your last!

This made me think of the variety of books that am drawn to, and how people have such a diversity of tastes, opinions, and standards, how is a person perceived by the books, magazines, and articles they read?

Because I am inquisitive about world religions, mythology, and philosophy (all topics that are hot beds for debate), I am reluctant to house my books in plain sight for visitors to 'size me up' according to their principles, or to open the door to a 'war of words' so to speak.

Because we reside in a very fundamental Christian community, it isn't too far fetched to think of the movie premise of, "Footloose", and see that a variety of books pertaining to world religions could be perceived as being 'secular','of the world,' or 'a need for witnessing.'

When in fact I am of the mind that without looking into a variety of subjects we can become narrow-minded, dogmatic, and judgmental, I don't want to be any of these things.

I love that my family shares a love of reading, knowledge, and most of all I respect their courage for divulging their reading selections.

1. Name one book that changed your life:

The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell


2. One book you've read more than once:

The Wisdom of the Ennegram by Don Riso & Russ Hudson


3. One book you'd want on a desert island:

The Self Sufficient Life & How To Live It by John Seymour & Deirdre Headon


4. One book that made you laugh:

Seinlanguage by Jerry Seinfeld

5. One book that made you cry:

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom


6. One book you wish you'd written:


The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis


7. One book you wish had never been written:

Not familar with oppressive writings, but I would concur with my sister-in-law, Sarah, Mein Kampf would have to be on this list.

8. One book you're currently reading:

Working with The Law by Raymond Holliwell


9. One book you've been meaning to read:


I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts On Being A Woman by Nora Ephrom

10. Share with your favorite people:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should put your books out in plain view and shock the neighbors. Think how much fun they'll have gossiping {grin}. You have a wonderful inquiring mind and shouldn't be bashful about the rest of the world seeing your library...

Anonymous said...

Well, actually...my books were out in plain view when I had a 50th B-day celebration for Mr. Bob, this was the impetuous for my clandestine book reading and concealment. However, my 'inner rebel' would love to tell folks to go and pound sand!