Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Light extinguished too early...

I watched a highly entertaining movie on Saturday called, "Waitress". It reminded me somewhat of a foreign film made in the early 1990's called, "Like Water for Chocolate". Both have the premise of cooking one's emotions into their culinary creations. I could go on and on about the merits of the film, it was only through having a discussion with my best friend did I discover that the writer, director and actress who portrayed the character Dawn was murdered, and the crime scene was set up to look like a suicide on the heels of her success with this film, the evidence bore out the truth of what actually occurred.

The feeling of loss,confusion, and dismay of someone whom I never met, but came bounding off the screen with such warmth,charm, and like ability that it just was a feeling of heaviness that loomed over me after finding out. Partly, I feel, because at the end of the movie Adrienne Shelly's actual daughter in real life was cast as the main character's daughter. Sooooo, precious she was!!! Thinking that her Mother had been taken from her seemed so vile, tragic, and wrong.

On a positive note, her husband has established a foundation in her memory that promotes the creative aspirations of women film-makers, that seems fitting for someone who had so much talent and appeared to be a quality human being. Consider this my 'little' homage to someone whose light was extinguished too early.












www.adrienneshellyfoundation.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrienne_Shelly

No comments: